Louisiana native Alex Smith didn’t quite make the cut to be a professional baseball player, however, he found his calling elsewhere. His acoustic cover songs gathered big crowds via Youtube and these days he is dead set on making a name for himself. His current single “Load It Up” is a perfect example of what country music fans crave these days. It’s mainstream royalty. He can play guitar, he can sing and did I mention he is easy on the eyes? Smith may be fresh talent but he is well on his way to success.
1. Where are you answering these questions from & what are you wearing?
On a brown couch in my living room, barefoot in shorts, wearing a Who Dat Saints shirt and rocking the extreme fashions of a face mask humidifier I use before I have to sing.
2. What’s your official title and favorite thing about what you do?
It’s a combination of writing and playing live. There is nothing better than hearing people sing back the words of something you have written. So I would say both writing and performing.
3. What are 3 things you CANNOT live without?
God, music, and candy.
4. What’s the first concert you’ve ever attended?
Lady Antebellum a few years back. Their harmonies blow me away every time.
5. How long have you been playing music?
I have been playing guitar about 9 years now. It all started when guitar hero came out when I was in about 7th grade. I got pretty good at it and wondered what it would be like on a real guitar so I picked one up and learned everything I know off Youtube and never looked back. It’s truly a millennials story of music, kind of embarrassing.
6. What’s the hardest life lesson you’ve learned?
You can try as hard as you can at something and still not succeed. It doesn’t keep me down though, I always look for the next project or a way to make the best of the present.
7. Do you have a favorite restaurant or hang out spot?
I like Clyde’s a lot in Nashville. I get bored sitting at a bar for too long not doing anything so at Clyde’s I can at least play ping pong and be competitive.
8. If you could duet with any female artist, who would you pick and why?
Currently, I think it would be Kelsea Ballerini because I wrote a duet I think she would sound fantastic on.
9. Who is your favorite country singer from the 90s?
Vince Gill will always be one of my favorites. There aren’t many others like him or his voice out there.
10. Besides music, do you have any other talents or hobbies?
I love photography and design in general but I also really enjoy sports and working out regularly.
11. Do you have a favorite place to perform?
So far it would have to be Jefferson St. Pub back in Louisiana where I am from. That is where I had the release shows for my EP and it was the first time friends and family got to see me play with my full band and play all my original music. It was memorable to me.
12. What’s one gift you will never forget?
I would have to say my Taylor guitar. My parents surprised me with it as a graduation gift from high school and since then it rarely leaves my side.
13. What current event has your eyes and ears? What are you doing about it?
Any work with St. Jude has always been a big focus of mine. I have been apart of a few telethons and played at many events to raise money for St. Jude and after a recent visit to the hospital my love for them has only grown.
14. How do you think songwriters play a vital role in music today?
I think writers have the power of impacting many people in different ways, so personally, as a songwriter, I aim to write songs that relate to the audience and brings out their emotions, whether it is sad or a party song.
15. What’s one super power you wish you had?
I think I would like to fly, being above the clouds looking down is one of my favorite things to do on a plane, so I imagine I would love being able to fly.
16. You’re making your favorite sandwich… what’s on it?
Has to be my Mom’s Chicken Salad sandwich. I have tried to recreate it on my own…… never works.
17. Name one artist of any genre besides country that you are a fan of and tell us why?
John Mayer, hands down. I grew up listening to a ton of his music and it inspired me to play more and more guitar. It was a combination of all of the styles of music he blends together and his almost cryptic lyric writing style that kept you on your toes looking for the deeper meaning of his lyrics.
18. What makes you laugh out loud?
Corny jokes. Sometimes the most pathetic jokes get the most out of me. It’s not uncommon for me to be the only one laughing out of all of my friends.
19. Fill in the blank: It’s not a party until…
Music comes on. No party ever gets started without some music.
20. Fill in the blank: Country music has made me…
Feel just about every emotion there is. You can find a country song for anything, ones that you can relate to when you are sad, ones that are light hearted and make you laugh and songs that help get the party started. Country has a little bit of everything, not many other genres can accomplish that.
What do you think about Alex Smith? Tweet me and let me know @brittwv.