Kentucky native Camille Rae may just be the next big female artist to hit Nashville. Rae not only has a great voice but she also has a special knack for songwriting as well. Her most recent album Come Find Me which was released in March 2017 has a personal touch, as half of the album was written by Camille Rae herself. The fact that men are dominating country music at the moment has zero effect on Rae, she’s eager to prove herself and her talent – she’s definitely on the right track.
1. Where are you answering these questions from and what are you wearing?
Well, my hair and make-up are done but I’m wearing sweats in my living room! Shhh! (laughs)
2. What’s your official title and favorite thing about what you do?
I am a recording artist/singer-songwriter. My favorite thing about what I do would have to be performing live. There is nothing like the rush of sharing my music with as many people as possible.
3. What are 3 things you CANNOT live without?
Dr. Pepper, my tweezers that I bought in Spain almost 10 years ago, and my guitar.
4. What’s the first concert you’ve ever attended?
Marty Stewart when I was around 7 years old.
5. How long have you been playing music?
I have been singing publicly since I was 3 and have been playing guitar and writing music since I was 12.
6. What’s the hardest life lesson you’ve learned?
Being patient! The music business is all about the right timing and that timing is never my timing.
7. Do you have a favorite restaurant or hangout spot in music city?
I really like The Whiskey Kitchen. It has great food and a great atmosphere.
8. Beer or whiskey?
Depends on the day! A night out on the town, definitely whiskey. A hang out with friends, definitely beer.
9. Who is your favorite country singer from the 90s?
10. If you could duet with any male artist, who would you pick and why?
Vince Gill. He is probably the most talented and humble man in country music. His voice continues to get smoother and better with age and he seems like a genuinely nice person.
11. Do you have a favorite place to perform?
I’ve been doing a lot of traveling over the past year or so. One of the coolest places I’ve had the chance to perform is probably Jackson Hole, Wyoming. My favorite place to play in Nashville is probably Puckett’s. It is a very intimate and family oriented show and I feel like I get to know new people every time.
12. What’s one gift you will never forget?
I got a leather bomber jacket for Christmas when I was in the third grade. I was so excited that I screamed out loud for a good minute and I’m pretty sure I slept in it for an entire week.
13. What current event has your eyes and ears? What are you doing about it?
I recently traveled through Memphis and was listening to the radio. They were doing a radio-thon for Saint Jude Children’s Hospital. A huge piece of my heart has always gone to this particular charity and foundation and what they do for families blows my mind. I couldn’t imagine having a sick child. It would have to be the hardest thing anyone would ever have to face. Right now I am part of another program called Musicians On Call where I go to hospitals in Middle Tennessee and go from room to room and sing for the patients. I am also working out in my budget how to donate to Saint Jude and programs like it for the future.
14. How do you think songwriters play a vital role in music today?
Songwriters are the soul of music. I write a lot of my own music, but for my new album, I worked with about 20 different writers to find songs that fit my personality and project perfectly. Without songwriters, there would be no songs. Whether the singer of the song is the songwriter or not, someone has to be creative enough to write it. Not everyone has the desire to sing and perform, but are brilliantly talented as musicians and/or lyricists. They put their ideas and souls onto paper and into a song and I am one of the lucky ones that get to perform their stories and experiences. It’s pretty cool when you think about it.
15. What’s been the highlight of your career thus far?
It would have to be the current project I’m doing right now, which is my upcoming album “Come Find Me” the people I have had the privilege to work with and meet in the process have truly changed the path of my career. I am so proud of this project and the wonderful things that will come from the release of the album in March.
16. You’re making your favorite sandwich… what’s on it?
Chicken, bacon, ranch, avocado, Colby-jack cheese and bean sprouts.
17. Name one artist of any genre besides country that you are a fan of and tell us why?
Kelly Clarkson! That girl can SANG!!! When I was taking vocal lessons in college, my teacher wouldn’t allow me to belt as they were classical/opera lessons. So, I trained myself to belt and powerhouse sing by singing along to Kelly Clarkson’s “Breakaway” album. She is truly amazing and very true to herself.
18. What makes you laugh out loud?
Many things… my sense of humor is very broad. Funny puppy videos, episodes of Superstore and The Office, friends being stupid… I can’t really name one thing!!
19. Fill in the blank: It’s not a party until…
someone yells “ROLL TIDE!”
20. Fill in the blank: Country music has made me…
the woman I was too intimidated to be.