North Carolina native Canaan Cox is a fresh face in the country music world. Although fairly new to the game, he continues to impress country music fans all over the map. His release of his current single “Lie” has sparked many ears worldwide. It’s a soulful track with a mid tempo sound. Mainstream at it’s core, “Lie” is a brilliantly written and mastered song. If you don’t have Canaan Cox on your playlist, you’re missing out.
1. Where are you answering these questions from & what are you wearing?
Starbucks at Nippers Corner (Nashville). Black T-shirt, Oregon Ball Cap, and a pair of jeans (which honestly has a hole in the crotch.)
2. What’s your official title and favorite thing about what you do?
Entertainer- might sound super cliche but be able to use my God given gift to bring joy to others.
3. What are 3 things you CANNOT live without?
Chocolate Milk, the gym, and How I Met Your Mother!
4. What’s the first concert you’ve ever attended?
Rascal Flatts in Charlotte NC when I was in 10th grade. Jason Aldean and Blake Shelton opened.
5. How long have you been playing music?
Ever since I can remember. Started on the piano then quickly moved to mandolin, fiddle, and guitar.
6. What’s the hardest life lesson you’ve learned?
It’s always darkest before the dawn. It might take a week, a month, or even 2 years to look back and realize it, but knowing that everything happens for a reason and when you feel like quitting, success is just around the corner.
7. Do you have a favorite restaurant or hang out spot in music city?
12th Tap Room
8. Beer or whiskey?
9. Who is your favorite country singer from the 90’s?
Joe Diffie “John Deere Green” BABY!
10. If you could co write with any songwriter, who would you pick & why?
Ed Sheeran! He has a way of telling a story in the most melodic way. His creativity astounds me. Plus we can rock the ginger look so hard.
11. Which do you enjoy most, writing songs or performing them?
Performing them! I love writing but it’s mainly an outlet for me. I’d say over 90% of my songs are true stories so I use that to fuel the pen to paper.
12. What’s one gift you will never forget?
I was performing on a cruise ship and about to head over to the Mediterranean and before I left my dad sent me the guitar I was drooling over months before!
13. What current event has your eyes and ears? What are you doing about it?
Natural High is one that I am passionate about. It supports kids achieving passionate energy through sports, music etc! Also, Thor 3 comes out really soon!
14. How do you think songwriters play a vital role in music today?
I think it’s another creative outlet. Not everyone can sing but they might be phenomenal writers and I think giving them that chance to pour out their emotions in the form is not only beneficial for us as performers but great for them as artists.
15. What’s one super power you wish you had?
To be able to teleport! How sweet would that be?
16. You’re making your favorite sandwich… what’s on it?
Mesquite turkey breast, avocado, tomato, spicy aioli, bacon, fried egg, pepper jack cheese, on toasted wheat!
17. Name one artist of any genre besides country that you are a fan of and tell us why?
Hanson! Not a lot of people know that they are still kicking it with great stuff! They’re full of soul and funk! Plus, I find my unique vocal style similar to Taylor’s.
18. What makes you laugh out loud?
Step Brothers, Barney Stinson, and my best friend, Mike Innis!
19. Fill in the blank: Country music has made me…
Determined. Ever since I can remember, it has been my only dream and I won’t stop chasing it until I get there.