Just a guy from upstate New York, Tom O’Connor prides himself on his unique sound. A southern rock influence mixed with just enough mainstream country sound equals one hell of an artist. You may know O’Connor from touring with Luke Combs recently but if you are just being introduced to his music, you are in for a treat. His deep soulful voice is one that can’t be forgotten. His songs portray true emotion and depth. Insanely talented and relentlessly humble, Tom O’Connor is everything country music thrives from.
1. Where are you answering these questions from and what are you wearing?
My living room in jeans and a t-shirt with a Whiskey Jam hat on.
2. What’s your official title and favorite thing about what you do?
Singer/songwriter and that I get to write songs with other extremely talented writers and artists every day.
3. What are 3 things you CANNOT live without?
My guitar, ice hockey and the outdoors.
4. What’s the first concert you’ve ever attended?
Toby Keith and Willie Nelson.
5. How long have you been playing music?
6. What’s the hardest life lesson you’ve learned?
Not to make big decisions based on emotion.
7. Do you have a favorite restaurant or hangout spot in Music City?
Winners & Losers in Midtown during the week.
8. Beer or whiskey?
Definitely whiskey! Almost always Jameson.
9. Who is your favorite country singer from the 90s?
Travis Tritt or early Toby Keith.
10. If you could duet with any female artist, who would you pick and why?
Alison Krauss because I think she’s incredible.
11. Do you have a favorite place to perform?
930 Club (Washington, D.C.) The Mint (Los Angeles, CA) and Cheatham Street Warehouse (San Marcos, TX)
12. What’s one gift you will never forget?
A pair of Lucchese boots
13. What current event has your eyes and ears? What are you doing about it?
A large number of veterans returning to the States from war have a tough time adapting to being home and talking about things they’ve seen and experienced. Through a program called Creative Vets, veterans come to Nashville and write songs with pro songwriters about things that they may not otherwise be able to communicate to friends and family members. I’ve gotten the opportunity to participate in a few of those writes.
14. How do you think songwriters play a vital role in music today?
Songwriters play an absolutely critical role in music today. Most people don’t know that a large number of artists don’t write the songs that they perform and record. Without songwriters there really is no music industry.
15. What’s one super power you wish you had?
16. You’re making your favorite sandwich… what’s on it?
Turkey, Avocado, Swiss and Bacon.
17. Name one artist of any genre besides country that you are a fan of and tell us why?
Tom Petty because I think his influence and sound can be heard in a lot of my favorite country music today. I also think everything he puts out is timeless.
18. What makes you laugh out loud?
Late night comedies.
19. Fill in the blank: It’s not a party until…
There’s a day off tomorrow!
20. Fill in the blank: Country music has made me…
A better songwriter.