Arkansas native, realist and all around music lover Charlie Farley is the exception to the rule. Growing up, he listened to everything from Willie Nelson to Eminem. Average Joe Entertainment gained one hell of an asset when they signed this hick-hop artist/songwriter. Farley’s music talks about real life circumstances from dirt roads to his sister’s death.
He brings uncut, raw lyrics to life through his songs. He is certainly entertaining and above all talented.
1. Where are you answering these questions from & what are you wearing?
I’m answering these questions in Southwest Arkansas from the front porch of my house.
2. What’s your official title and favorite thing about what you do?
“Artist” and my favorite thing would be writing. I love the creative process that goes into bringing an idea to life.
3. What are 3 things you CAN NOT live without?
Hunting, Fishing and Family.
4. What’s the first concert you’ve ever attended?
George Jones concert in Branson Missouri when I was about 10 or 12 years old.
5. How long have you been playing music?
For about 10 years now. Professionally for about 3.
6. What’s the hardest life lesson you’ve learned?
I’ve learned so many (laughs) its hard to pick just one. I’d say learning how to accept failure & learn from it and better yourself for the next round, was probably my hardest lesson. I hate losing and when something didn’t go my way I used to just keep beating a dead horse. I finally figured out that you still win even in defeat because you learn. You learn what to do differently the next time. So now I look at it as you never really lose. You either win or you learn how to win. That took me a long time and a lot of heartache to figure out.
7. Do you have a favorite restaurant or hang out spot in music city?
Cheesecake factory! I love that place!
8. Beer or whiskey?
Depends on my mood. Beer mostly, if I’m pissed off then it’s whiskey.
9. Who is your favorite country singer from the 90’s?
10. Out of all the songs you’ve written, do you have a favorite?
Red Rose off of my album “All I’ve Been Through” is definitely my personal favorite. I wrote it about my sister and there is just a special place in my heart that “Red Rose” touches.
11. Do you have a favorite place to perform?
Everywhere! (laughs) Anywhere there is a crowd, I’m ready to go!
12. What’s one gift you will never forget?
For my 16th birthday my parents put a down payment on a Z-71 Chevrolet for me. I will never forget how excited I was pulling up to the house and seeing that truck sitting there.
13. What current event has your eyes and ears? What are you doing about it?
14. How do you think songwriters play a vital role in music today?
They are everything. Without songwriters, what would we listen to? Air? I am a songwriter myself and I take great pride in it.
15. What’s one super power you wish you had?
I wish I could fly. With all the travelling I do, I just wish I could basically teleport myself and my band from one location to the next (laughs.)
16. You’re making your favorite sandwich… what’s on it?
Bologna, mayo and cheese.
17. Name one artist of any genre besides country that you are a fan of and tell us why?
Eminem. I’ve always been a fan of his lyricism. I think that goes back to me being a songwriter. Almost any song he comes out with I will sit and dissect word for word. The man is incredible.
18. What makes you laugh out loud?
My baby girl. The way she smiles at me cracks me up.
19. Fill in the blank: It’s not a party until…
I show up!
20. Fill in the blank: Country music has made me…
appreciate the small steps that lead up the staircase in my career.
Let us know what you think about Charlie Farley in the comment section.