Where has time gone? It’s been five years since Florida native Easton Corbin climbed the singles chart for the first time with “A Little More Country Than That.” Now, the Mercury recording artist is on album number three, and it sounds like he has definitely stepped things up a few notches.
“Kiss Me One More Time,” which kicks off the album is pretty much the definition of “Radio-friendly,” but the track (written by Carson Chamberlain, Wade Kirby, and Phil O’Donnell) surely has a memorable beat – one that will keep you humming along. That trend continues on “Guys and Girls,” which will very likely become another number one single. The arrangement is very much in line with the sound of the airwaves these days, and Corbin gives it his all.
In terms of pure production, the title track might be the best song on the album. Chamberlain sets Corbin up with possibly his most contemporary arrangement, but he rises to the occasion, delivering a knockout punch. He tips the hat to Ronnie Dunn, who co-wrote the churning “Wild Women and Whiskey,” where he shows some of that influence, and keeps it light with the bouncy “Just Add Water.”
However, all that being said, the ballads here also worth the price of admission. “Are You With Me” is 3:41 of pure vocal melodrama, and “Like A Song,” which closes the disc – is pure poetry, and quite possibly, Corbin’s finest moment as a recording artist yet. If Mike Dungan and company don’t give this a chance as a single, there’s definitely something wrong with the water at UMG. This is a hit!
Easton Corbin has done very well to this point, that’s for sure. However, look for this album to possibly be the charm to take him to the next level. Whether it’s emotional and heartfelt, or uptempo party-tunes, there’s a little something for everyone here – and he does it all so very well!
Easton Corbin – Baby Be My Love Song
About To Get Real Track listing
1. “Kiss Me One More Time” Carson Chamberlain, Wade Kirby, Phil O’Donnell 3:20
2. “Guys and Girls” Zach Crowell, Jaren Johnston, Cary Barlowe 3:48
3. “Clockwork” Chamberlain, Kirby, Ashley Gorley 3:09
4. “Diggin’ on You” Easton Corbin, Chamberlain, O’Donnell, Kirby 2:42
5. “Baby Be My Love Song” Jim Collins, Brett James 3:21
6. “About to Get Real” Jeremy Stover, Ben Hayslip, Rhett Akins 3:15
7. “Yup” Shane Minor, O’Donnell, Kirby 3:13
8. “Wild Women and Whiskey” Ronnie Dunn, Terry McBride 3:32
9. “Are You with Me” Tommy Lee James, McBride, Shane McAnally 3:40
10. “Damn Girl” Corbin, Chamberlain, Jeff Hyde 3:28
11. “Just Add Water” Tony Lane, David Lee 3:04
12. “Like a Song” Corbin, Chamberlain, Stephen Allen Davis 3:48