Just a small town girl from Mississippi, Jordyn Mallory grew up having big dreams and those dreams are starting to come true. A few short years ago the singer/songwriter made it to Hollywood week on the hit TV series American Idol. She has also written a song with Kip Moore titled “Seperate Ways” which Moore performed with Jewel at the legendary Ryman Auditorium. A young talent with a major publishing deal, Jordyn Mallory continues to write notable music. Her debut single titled “Boat Friend” is upbeat, catchy and the perfect summer jam. The single was released via her self-titled EP which you can listen to on Spotify.
1. Where are you answering these questions from and what are you wearing?
I’m sitting in my car outside the gym. Procrastinating the gym part, but being productive by doing this! I have on a tank top and shorts with my red butterfly boots.
2. What’s your official title and favorite thing about what you do?
Boss Lady and struggling singer/songwriter. Haha! I feel extremely grateful and lucky to get to wake up every morning excited to go do my favorite thing in the world — sing. I am beyond blessed to be living this life.
3. What are three things you CANNOT live without?
My phone, Chocolate, and my Momma. (But not in that order).
4. What’s the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning?
Turn off the 27 alarms that it took to wake me up.
5. What’s your favorite cartoon character?
6. What’s the hardest life lesson you’ve learned?
To be patient…I’m still workin’ on that one.
7. Do you find it harder in today’s music industry to be a female artist?
Of course. But at the same time, it’s hard for everyone. That whole saying “Nothing worth having comes easy” is so true.
8. Do you have a favorite hang out in Music City?
You can find me at Chuy’s several times a week. Does Chuy’s count as a hang out?
9. Who is your favorite country singer from the 90s?
Faith Hill. I remember being 7 years old and buying the Take Me As I Am record. She’s a Mississippi girl too.
10. If you could duet with any male artist who would you pick and why?
Bryan Adams. We used to drive around in my Momma’s old golden Maxima (we called it the Golden Egg) and listen to his cassettes. He was definitely a huge influence for me. A duet with him would be a dream come true.
11. Do you have a favorite place to perform?
I would have to say the Bluebird Cafe. I’m sure you get that answer a lot, but I’ve played there a few times and it truly is a magical place to sing. If you haven’t been there yet, I would highly suggest you go!
12. What’s one gift you will never forget?
One year my aunt and uncle surprised me with the Emmylou Harris Gibson Guitar. I just remember them bringing the case out and I thought “Oh how nice…a new guitar case!” Not even thinking there would be a GORGEOUS guitar inside. I’ve had that guitar for about 10 years now and wouldn’t trade it for the world!
13. What current event has your eyes and ears? What are you doing about it?
Musicians On Call has recently become very close to my heart. They’re a nonprofit organization that has musicians sing to patients at different healthcare facilities and I recently just started volunteering with them. They just launched the Half A Million Moments campaign in celebration of sharing the healing power of music with over 500,000 patients across the country. It’s something I’m very proud and happy to be a small part of.
14. Do you have a favorite place to shop? What inspires your fashion style?
Plato’s Closet is my favorite. Seriously, that place is amazing. I’m a bargain lady and let me tell ya, I could spend hours in there. Also, I have a butterfly boot obsession and it tends to inspire my style. I wear the boots more days than I don’t and if I EVER find boots that have butterflies on them, I pretty much have to buy them. I love anything embroidered or crocheted.
15. What’s one super power you wish you had?
I’d be a mind reader because I just wanna know what you’re thinking! Well, maybe.
16. You’re making your favorite sandwich…what’s on it?
Avocado, salami and jalapeño hot sauce…I know it sounds weird but it’s amazing.
17. Name one artist of any genre besides country that you are a fan of and tell us why?
Lana Del Rey for sure. I was visiting LA a long time ago before she was famous and overheard some people talking about how incredible she was. So, just out of curiosity, I looked her up and I’ve been a huge fan since.
18. What makes you laugh out loud?
The Guacamole Song…look it up and thank me later!
19. Fill in the blank: It’s not a party until…
…there’s a boat!
20. Fill in the blank: Country music has made me…
…who I am.
Do you have a favorite artist you want to see answer my Breaking The Ice questions? Tweet me and let me know @brittwv.
Author: Brittany Vance
West Virginia born & bred living life in the DMV. I believe in kind hearts & strong drinks. Mom of two boys and Autism advocate. Music is not only powerful but magical. In the words of Merle Haggard: Good music will live forever. I am here to share that music with each of you.