Tennessee native Michael White is one of today’s top songwriters. He has a success record a mile long and his personality is even bigger. As a teenager White experienced his first song cut by the incredible Conway Twitty titled “You Make It Hard To Take The Easy Way Out.” White received two ASCAP Airplay Awards for the No. 1 song “The Baby” by Blake Shelton and the top 10 hit “Loving Every Minute” by Mark Wills. He recently co-wrote the No. 1 single “Kiss You In The Morning” by Michael Ray. White has also had cuts from artists such as Alan Jackson, Shania Twain and Easton Corbin. His deep love for music makes him a true talent in the songwriting business.
1. Where are you answering these questions from and what are you wearing?
The couch in my living room. Sweats, hoodie, tennis shoes and hat.
2. What’s your official title and favorite thing about what you do?
Songwriter/Singer. Writing songs and hearing someone else sing them.
3. What are three things you CANNOT live without?
Guitar, iPad and a dog.
4. What’s the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning?
Smile gratefully that I’m still here.
5. What’s your favorite cartoon character?
Ren and Stimpy
6. What’s the hardest life lesson you’ve learned?
Life ain’t fair.
7. Sweet or sour?
8. Beer or whiskey?
9. What’s your favorite country singer from the 90s?
10. Out of all the songs you’ve written, do you have a favorite?
Well it changes. Right now it’s a song called “Raising Humans.”
11. Do you have a favorite place to perform?
The Bluebird Cafe
12. What’s one gift you will never forget?
My first car. A ’68 Camaro SS from my mom and dad.
13. What current event has your eyes and ears? What are you doing about it?
The Songwriter Equity Act. Try to educate music fans about how songwriters get screwed by streaming services.
14. Do you think country music should evolve?
Of course. Things that don’t evolve end up as fossils. (Of course some fossils are worth a lot of money)
15. What’s one super power you wish you had?
Read people’s minds when I’m in a co-write with them.
16. You’re making your favorite sandwich…what’s on it?
Peanut butter and honey
17. Name one artist of any genre besides country that you are a fan of and tell us why?
Don Henley. One of the greatest songwriters of my generation.
18. What makes you laugh out loud?
Dogs and kids
19. Fill in the blank: It’s not a party until…
…somebody says, “Shhh! Be cool! The cops are at the front door!”
20. Fill in the blank: Country music has made me…
…absolutely unemployable in the real world.
Do you have a favorite songwriter? Tweet me and let me know @brittwv.