Texas native Olivia Lane is sweet, soulful and absolutely stunning. She has such a likable personality and undeniable talent. Lane’s music showcases her diverse spirit. It’s filled with banjo’s, positive lyrics and even a little pop inspiration. Rolling Stone named her as one of their “10 New Artists You Need To Know” and they were certainly not mistaken.
Her new single “Make My Own Sunshine” is a catchy tune that is bound to lift your spirits. It’s vocally crafted to perfection and lyrically vibrant. Olivia Lane is bringing girl power to country music and it’s much needed.
1. Where are you answering these questions from and what are you wearing?
Sitting on my couch at my apartment in Nashville after a day of writing! Wearing flare jeans, black top and my go-to brown hat for a casual look.
2. What’s your official title and favorite thing about what you do?
Title: Country Artist/Singer/Songwriter/Life Lover. The best part about what I do is getting to meet people from all walks of life and talk about music.
3. What are three things you CANNOT live without?
My water bottle, ChapStick and comfy shoes.
4. What’s the first concert you’ve ever attended?
5. What’s your favorite cartoon character?
SpongeBob because he’s the best. I had an unhealthy obsession with that show in 6th grade.
6. What’s the hardest life lesson you’ve learned?
Failure is absolutely necessary to be good at anything and keep growing as a person. Without failure, life becomes boring. I’m not scared to fail, I just fail better each time it happens.
7. Do you have a favorite restaurant in music city?
There are so many! I’m a foodie so one favorite place is hard to say but for an amazing brunch, Monells is the jam.
8. Do you think it’s much harder for female artists to succeed today?
Good music is good music so I think that trumps most arguments. But yes I do think it’s harder for females. Can’t tell you why though.
9. What’s your favorite country singer from the 90s?
Alan Jackson, Sara Evans, Brooks & Dunn…the list goes on and on.
10. Out of all the songs you’ve written, do you have a favorite?
I have a new song called “She Fits” that I love. Also “Steal Me Away” will always be near and dear to my heart. That song’s life ain’t over yet.
11. Do you have a favorite place to perform?
Any show in my hometown of Houston. Going home is always so much fun.
12. What’s one gift you will never forget?
My first fan poster I saw in the audience at one of my shows. It was made by this 7 or 8 year old girl who was a fan in Fort Worth at Billy Bob’s and it was absolutely precious. I brought her back stage onto my bus and she was just thrilled and asked if I would keep it. That was really special.
13. What current event has your eyes and ears? What are you doing about it?
Actually in lieu of the lack of women in country music talk, I host an event every year called “Diva Jam” during CMA Fest and this year will be the third year it’s happening. It’s an all female supported and supportive event for women to come together and be on each others team. I want to help any woman I can in this crazy industry!
14. How do you think songwriters play a vital role in music today?
We wouldn’t have songs without songwriters so they are pretty vital I would say. I write my own songs but I listen to outside songs to cut too because my life is so limited. There are writers in this town that have been writing long before I was even born and there are stories out there that are waiting to be given life and that excites me. If you think about it, we don’t demand every actor to write their own movie or TV script. I think singers should have the same perspective when it comes to songs.
15. What’s one super power you wish you had?
A bottomless pit of a stomach so I could eat and try all amazing foods all day!
16. You’re making your favorite sandwich…what’s on it?
Turkey, American cheese, mustard and avocado. Plain and simple.
17. Name one artist of any genre besides country that you are a fan of and tell us why?
Carole King. Her songwriting and persona is beautiful to me. Tapestry is one of my favorite albums.
18. What makes you laugh out loud?
My friends. They’re crazy.
19. Fill in the blank: It’s not a party until…
…there is cake. 🙂
20. Fill in the blank: Country music has made me…
Do you have a favorite Olivia Lane song? Tweet me and let me know @brittwv.
Author: Brittany Vance
West Virginia born & bred living life in the DMV. I believe in kind hearts & strong drinks. Mom of two boys and Autism advocate. Music is not only powerful but magical. In the words of Merle Haggard: Good music will live forever. I am here to share that music with each of you.