Texas native SaraBeth Swagerty has just about done it all. Her style, charm and colossal talent have taken her to places, such as the Dominican Republic for instance. SaraBeth taught music there right after college graduation. A self-proclaimed business woman with an abundance of star quality, SaraBeth continues to impress her audience. Her self-titled EP is the perfect representation of her songwriting capability as well as her cunning vocals. If she is not on your radar, she should be.
1. Where are you answering these questions from and what are you wearing?
In my kitchen, watching Gilmore Girls, wearing a Love Your Melon tank and pink sweatpants!
2. What’s your official title and favorite thing about what you do?
Singer/Songwriter/Country Artist. I get to make music every day and travel the world meeting fans.
3. What are three things you cannot live without?
Can I say coffee three times? Coffee, Combos, and Oreos with Peanut Butter.
4. What’s the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning?
5. What’s your favorite cartoon character?
Wile E. Coyote. Poor guy never can catch a break.
6. What’s the hardest life lesson you’ve learned?
Not everyone does business honestly or delivers what they promise.
7. What is your favorite thing about being a female artist?
There are so many things. First of all I get to wear some really freaking cool clothes on stage and for events that I wouldn’t wear just out to the mall in real life. More importantly is that I’m part of an amazing group of women in Nashville and have made some amazing, talented, supportive friends.
8. Beer or whiskey?
9. Who’s your favorite country singer from the 90s?
Shania Twain, Jo Dee Messina, Clint Black, Vince Gill, Garth Brooks, SheDaisy…I could probably name 15 more. It’s not really a favorite, more like a Top 10 that change in rank depending on the day, my mood, or what comes on my iPod shuffle.
10. Do you have a favorite item in your closet?
Probably cowboy boots or some of the super cool jackets I’ve worn in photo/video shoots. Wearing the combo together makes me feel super rockstar!
11. Do you have a favorite place to perform?
There’s this amazing bar in Hartford, WI called The Wedge. It was the first place I ever played where the entire bar was singing my songs so loud I could barely hear my own voice! It was also amazing to sing The National Anthem at Reliant Stadium for the Houston Texans game.
12. What’s one gift you will never forget?
I’m a sucker for sentimental and homemade gifts. I wear my great grandmother’s wedding band every day. The most surprised I ever was by a gift was coming home from school in 6th grade and having a puppy! I don’t think I can give just one answer to any of these questions!
13. What current event has your eyes and ears? What are you doing about it?
Last year I started sponsoring a 3-year-old boy named Jonathan in Nicaragua through Food for the Hungry and was able to meet him in person at his home in January. After my trip and seeing all that FH is doing in these communities, I try to get children sponsored at each of my shows. I encourage anyone who’s had it put on their heart to sponsor a child to ask me anything or to visit FH.org/SaraBeth.
14. Do you think country music should evolve?
I do. Just like any other genre, however, I do think there are core elements that keep country music country. For example, I believe that one of the defining elements are having fiddle and steel guitar. There are also certain guitar tones, harmonica, washboards that have a country sound and feel.
15. What’s one super power you wish you had?
Healing powers so I would never have to see another cancer post again!
16. You’re making your favorite sandwich…what’s on it?
Grilled cheese or the Hook and Ladder from Firehouse Subs. Doesn’t get any better!
17. Name one artist of any genre besides country that you are a fan of and tell us why?
There are SO many. One of my huge inspirations is Leah Turner.
18. What makes you laugh out loud?
Pinterest humor boards.
19. Fill in the blank: It’s not a party until…
…I walk in. I’m gonna guess I’m not the first person to say that. Umm…It’s not a party until the fire pit is going, s’mores are busted out, and all my friends are with me!
20. Fill in the blank: Country music has made me…
…cry, laugh, think…and respect so many people! This genre is full or loyal, hard-working, down to earth people. There is so much to learn from everyone I meet!
Do you have a favorite female country artist? Tweet me and let me know @brittwv.
Pick up SaraBeth’s self-titled EP on iTunes.